Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cory Wilds, Cory Wilds, Cory Wilds







I get out and see a lot of bands. It's rare that I'm literally stunned by a searing, lightning-bright talent. One that makes me stay until the last note is played. Cory Wilds, Cory Wilds, Cory Wilds...


Whether he's stroking an old Fender sunburst, or coaxing a heart-ache out of a cherry-red hollow-body, Cory plays with the expertise of a long-time road warrior and the soul of a true artist, adding a fresh twist to the music. With his long-time kimosabe Mark Fluegel driving the bassline, Cory absolutely sparkles with wit and inventiveness. The venerable Doug McGrew on drums, new to the trio, made it seem effortless, as if he'd been playing with them from the beginning twelve years ago.


Maybe it's the Jazz influence: Cory listens to everything, admitting he voraciously consumes a wide array of music. His first jazz album was Kind of Blue, and I can hear the Miles influence, call it soulfulness, a voice that grips you and takes you along. Rock/Blues influences abound, from Stevie Ray Vaughn to Freddie King to early R&B. Yet there's a certain british-invasion hard rock edge to his playing that's at once arresting and compelling.


Easily a rock star in every way, from his tall, elegant presence, to his impressive talent and repertoire, why isn't Cory famous and riding in limosines? "I prefer to play locally," he says. A Renton boy, he likes it here, and plays plenty.


Check them out at Benders (Renton) and Red Dog Saloon (Maple Valley). Get their calendar here http://www.myspace.com/corywildsband

2 comments:

  1. Correction: Mark's last name is spelled "Fluegel" and does so much more than hold down the bassline: he draws on a huge reservoir of songs and genres providing a great jam environment while marking the form at key moments. When Mark and Cory get going together they really cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang I was talking to a Co-worker with the last name of "Wilds" and he told me that he has a relative by the name of Cory Wilds that plays guitar. He said he thinks he might have some video's on youtube. So for the heck of it I put Cory Wild's band into youtube to see what I got. WOW, this guy, this band is really really talented. I was actually shocked I definately didn't expect this degree of talent. These guys are headed for "big time" in my opinion. What a driving sound. Reminds me a bit of "Johnny Winters" and "ZZ Top" type of bluesy music. These dudes really have it together !

    ReplyDelete