Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hammer of the Gods


photo courtesy Lori Mullins

Back in high school, my sister used to blast KISW FM radio, a station that at the time played a lot of Led Zeppelin, before it was known as “heavy metal.” The radio itself featured no bass and substituted static for high notes, but on and on it rasped. From my serene blue-and-white bedroom next to my sister’s, I thought Robert Plant’s voice was very strange and I was sure it came out of some martian synthesizer. Although some of the tunes were catchy, I was never really motivated to go to a Led Zeppelin concert.

Fast forward to now: Maybe it’s that recently one of our local musicians had the pleasure of playing with Jason Bonham (yes, John’s son), Led Zeppelin is in the air. Tuesday I went to jam night at the Barrel in Burien, and members from Seattle’s premiere Led Zeppelin tribute band “Kashmir” were playing. Whole different experience. Whole Lotta Love!!

Terry Mriglot is Robert Plant incarnate; his voice hits those hard to reach spikes and wails, and he even looks like Robert, with that leonine curly blonde hair and oh-so-tight jeans. Dan Benz plays a beautiful minstrel-like guitar, as if he had time-travelled from the Olde English countryside. Is it a Marshal? I’ll have to ask him, but that boy can paint castles and unicorns in the clouds.

I loved the combination of these Kashmir members playing with members of Howard Comfort’s AC/DC tribute band “Soul Stripper”: tall Howard plays a scorching lead guitar and exudes Rock Star Cool from behind his shades as his accomplished bass player thunders on his 5-string. When they played Collective Soul’s “Shine” it all came together: Magic!

The Barrel Jam, every Tuesday night 8-12 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment