Sunday, September 19, 2010

FURTHUR, THE EXPERIENCE

Furthur's set list, from their Facebook page

Photos by Irene Graham




Legendary Grateful Dead Band plays Remond, Wa
Third of Three Installments

Furthur at Marymoor Park, September 18, 6 p.m.
See the previous two installments:
Furthur, The Music
Furthur, The Band

FURTHUR, THE EXPERIENCE
Cosmically, the rain starts just as we walk through tall trees up to the main gate. As we’re getting our bags checked we rummage for rain ponchos. After that we hardly notice the rain—the focus is all on getting to the stage.

It’s definitely a different experience being up close (4th row center). The supreme professionalism of the stage setup, the caliber and complexity of the sound equipment and the magnificent instruments, is all laid out like a gorgeous banquet. It occurrs to me that Bobby has been touring for 45 years, pretty much non-stop. These guys are all at the very top of their game.

The plastic-sheeted fans are pumped up, ready to party. The band comes out to cheers from new and long-time fans. Familiar faces in the crowd smile knowingly, “Gonna be a party tonight, uh-huh!” as they roll into the first number, Mississippi Half-Step:

Half-step
Mississippi Uptown Toodleloo
Hello baby, I'm gone, goodbye
Half a cup of rock and rye
Farewell to you old southern sky
I'm on my way - on my way


The next song, Stagger Lee, is particularly amazing. I haven’t heard it live in concert for several years, and JohnK does a nice job on the guitar and vocals. I’m haunted by echoes of Miles Davis in the jam…those high held notes... The next few songs roll along in perfect contentment, the fans dancing, singing along, Phil smiling and grooving with Bobby, all having a real good time.

Jerry Garcia is always so palpably missing. His soulfulness came out at the most unexpected moments, through a cracking voice, or that perfect high note on the guitar. It’s hard. But JohnK holds it down. It isn’t until the last song of the first set, Sugaree, that I almost cry...

Just one thing I ask of you
Just one thing for me
Please forget you knew my name
My darlin’ Sugaree


Intermission is almost an emotional relief. I’ve never attended a concert with a friendlier, kinder, happier crowd than at a Dead concert. Tonight is no different. We’re all in it together, the rain, tarps, wet chairs. None of it matters. Just the music.

The band continues to pull at our heart strings as they open the second set with Steve Winwood's classic Dear Mr. Fantasy and then stride right into one of my favorite Bobby songs, Cassidy. It showcases Bobby’s special songwriting skills: his unusual and original chord changes and vocal modalities that I’m only recently coming to fully appreciate. The show is complete for me when they swing into The Wheel and I poignantly remember the Ventura, CA show in 1985, sunset, ocean waves crashing in the background, crowd bouncing on the old wooden bleachers. For me, the concert is an accumulation of special moments, relived across the decades. Some of the best moments in my life.

A lull and maybe still missing Jerry, it feels like Fire on the Mountain is a bit lackluster, and it isn’t until I Know You Rider that the energy is back up to megawattage. They’ve been doing Going Down the Road at a lot of their shows lately, so that is no surprise, but it’s always endearing and fun when they throw in an old cowboy song like that. Next, we all come full circle when they sing Bid You Goodnight, as Dark Star Orchestra performed a superb heartfelt rendition of it on their spring tour.

And, being Saturday, Bobby had to make the set list change at the last minute (I know it was you, Bobby!) and do one of his favorites, because he gets to whale on the rhythm guitar—it’s one of the best whaling strumming songs out there, One More Saturday Night. I know I’m extremely grateful to have had one more Saturday night with this band, and it was clear they felt the same way about us.

2 comments:

  1. A good friend, and the one who said to me 32 years ago, "C'mon, I'm TELLIN' ya!" and turned me on to Grateful Dead music, saw Further at Madison Square Garden on Saturday November 20 and Sunday November 21, 2010. Larry's review:

    Saturday Night was smoking! You’ve never seen an arena show until you’ve seen one in Madison Square Garden. The place is full of so much history and while it is a huge building you don’t lose an ounce of sound. The place was packed to the rafters. And considering it was impossible to get tickets other than through the brokers or stub hub, at a premium. They kicked off real smooth and by time they hit Shakedown/Jack straw you just felt like it was going to be a hot show. The first set Wharf Rat and Terrapin, shows me that they aren’t Grateful Dead shows anymore but really Furthuring the music we all love, and bringing out everything from the archives. When the second set opened with the new song, I wasn’t sure which way they were going until they hit the first chord of Dark Star and we were back to Live Dead! Right through to Death Don’t Have No Mercy, we were happily (or is it hippily) transformed to 1973, a time which most of us in the crowd would go back to in a heartbeat!

    Franklins Tower tied a nice bow on the show and the appropo Saturday Night encore sent the crowd out onto the New York city streets with a bounce in their step. I knew I was right when I told my buddy back in August that Saturday night was a must show to see on this tour and you kinda knew there was no way Sunday night could be as hot but it didn’t matter. To hear that second set--really the whole show evolved--was the true Dead experience.

    Sunday night as expected wasn’t as big of a crowd. Which was good for us, since we could upgrade our seats from side of the stage upper level to stage right on the rail about 30 rows back. This show opened and played to a much different style...the “country southern rock style” show that got you dancing and stayed away from the space jamming. Archive songs Viola Lee Blues and Born Crosseyed were real cool to hear live (my first Born Crosseyed) but the real shocker of the night was to hear Pink Floyds “Time”. It really blew my mind as you kinda expect to hear a Beatles or Dylan cover but Pink Floyd!!? They smoked Morning Dew, especially that John K handled all the lyrics. It was an OK Playin' in the Band, but to encore with Brokedown really left me happy for a two day explosion of the band and music that I just can’t let go of.

    --Larry, New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, here's the set list from Saturday, Nov. 20:

    Sat 11/20

    Set1
    Help on the Way>
    Slipknot >
    Shakedown Street
    Jackrstaw
    El Paso
    Wharf Rat
    Two Djinn
    Terrapin Station Suite

    Set 2
    The Mountain Song >
    Dark Star
    The Other One
    Saint Steven >
    The Eleven >
    Death Don't Have No Mecry
    Franklin's' Tower

    Encore:
    Saturday Night

    ReplyDelete